Thursday 17 July 2014

Day 6, Wednesday July 16

Left Best Western at 0800. Morning fog, light rain. Will meet up in St Leonard. Light rain turned into heavy down pour.Staying on hwy 144;  staying off hwy 2 aka Trans Canada hwy.
Lunch in Grand Falls. Ralf went ahead to get table; I went to ladies room. Aside from the usual, needed to wash hands and freshen up. Walked out to area overlooking the St John river. Plunked purse down, threw map on table and proceeded to sit down when I heard a voice, not Ralf's, "excuse mademoiselle " ... And I responded " oops,you're not Ralf". Ralf was sitting on opposite side of  room. Aside from the fact the gentleman was wearing a mauve shirt and tie, a blue outdoor jacket he did have silver hair. I think I would have eventually clued in I was at the wrong table. It's too early to have a drink (?) 11:30, 30 more minutes but who's counting ...1 Mississippi ,2 Mississippi ...
We each had a bowl of hot soup as day warranted it. I'm so glad I am in car. It's dry and warm in there. I hesitate putting window down when I meet up with Ralf as the rain gets in and makes my car wet. Imagine going threw a car wash with your windows down.
On Rte 105, Ralf  blew side wall of  back Kevlar tire that he's had since Michigan  2011. Thankful for support vehicle to his rescue with extra (new) tire. As soon as we get to Fredrickton tomorrow going to Savages to get spare tire.
Rte  105 scenic but road rough on tires. Deer crossed over hwy in front of me- unable to snap picture in time. Saw skunk scurrying down shoulder of hwy.
Highlight of day was  stopping at Mary's Bakery and Luncheonette for chilli and gingersnap cookies. Chilli was actually very good (think I've been in car too long)
Eventually arrived in Florenceviile Bristol, home of McCain family. Head office here,lots of potatoes and their private air strip. Staying in Florenceville Motel as well as a zillion hydro workers. Workers VERY loud, swearing and burping. If they were trying to impress me they didn't.  One room left, so we had to take it. Miss the ambience of the Quebec Chateau Frontenac.
Ralf taking suitcases out of car in teaming rain; his clothes emptied on pavement. "Oh, Val!" ... "Oh, Ralf!" Guess I never closed suitcase when getting out dry clothes at lunch... oops, sorry! Due to been wet all day, chaffing in places where sun doesn't shine. Rx . bum butter bid od.
Anne, every house up for sale by Exit here in NB.
Total km for today 140; rain all day, headwinds,  ++ detours.
Goal for tomorrow - sun (?) Fredrickton


Mary's Bake Shop


No comments:

Post a Comment